Last Updated on April 12, 2021 by Fahad Zahid
Although it is quite similar to the previous model, the new Segway Ninebot S Plus was introduced to add more features that could make the hoverboard portable and versatile.
But is the Segway Ninebot S Plus better than its predecessor, Segway Ninebot S?
Does the Segway Ninebot S still conquer the market?
We have compiled this review to compare the two hoverboards and determine which one is better.
All the information is added after a lot of research and analysis and contains some unknown truths and great tips that can help you a lot!
Related Posts: Best Segways for Kids, Teens & Adults
- 1 Segway Ninebot S vs S Plus [Comparision Table]
- 2 Design
- 3 Range
- 4 Motors
- 5 Top Speed
- 6 App Compatibility
- 7 Tires
- 8 Climbing Angle
- 9 Weight
- 10 Weight Capacity
- 11 Gokart Kit
- 12 Frame
- 13 Auto-Follow Mode
- 14 Camera
- 15 Safety Features
- 16 Price
- 17 Segway Ninebot S vs S Plus: Overall Winner:
- 18 FAQs
Segway Ninebot S vs S Plus [Comparision Table]
When talking about the design, we don’t find much difference except that the Segway Ninebot S gives a slimmer look while the S-Plus does not.
In terms of design, the competition of Segway Ninebot S vs Minipro results in a tie as both have almost the same design, while the S-Plus is a bit different.
The appearance of both the hoverboards is attractive and sturdy, and if you want to tell the better on by looking at them, you simply cannot!
We like the Ninebot S because it delivers a sleek and slim look while the Ninebot S-Plus gives a bulky kind of look.
However, the one you like depends on your choice.
When it comes to range, both the hoverboards are very different!
The Segway Ninebot only covers a range of 13.7 miles in a single charge, while the Ninebot S-Plus can easily cover 22 miles in one charge.
This is a huge difference, and we think it is what accounts for the higher price of the S-Plus.
The range of Ninebot S is also good, but when compared to the S-Plus, we don’t think you will consider the latter.
If you want to travel short distances, the Ninebot S is a good choice as its range is fairly longer than many other hoverboards in the market.
However, if you want a much longer range for enjoying your time and travelling to different places, the Ninebot S-Plus is the best choice!
Both Segway Ninebot S and S-Plus operate on dual motors, which collectively deliver the power of 1600W to the hoverboards.
So, we cannot declare a winner in this case because this feature is the same.
However, when compared to other hoverboards, their motor power is much higher.
This adds to the convenience and durability of the Ninebot S and S-Plus, as the motor power determines the hoverboard’s performance.
Both have dual 400W motors, so it’s a tie!
The top speed of the hoverboard is very important, especially for adventure-lovers and expert riders.
The top speed of the Ninebot S is 10mph, while that of Ninebot S-Plus is 12.5mph. Although the difference is not big to us, it can be for some people.
The top speed of Ninebot S is less than the S-Plus; however, it is not as less as you think!
Even speeds of 6mph are enough for a fun ride.
If you’re a beginner, this speed of 12 mph is very high for you, so we recommend riding the hoverboard at low speeds.
If you are an expert and want to hover in the air at top speeds, we think you should prefer Ninebot S-Plus.
However, Ninebot S is also not a bad choice at all.
Being equipped with all advanced features, both the Ninebot S and S-Plus offer app compatibility so you can ride in style with added convenience!
You can download the Segway App in your phone and control the hoverboard via Bluetooth.
You can adjust the ambient lights, speed, and monitor the battery status and anti-theft function in a click from your phone!
This intelligent App management in both the hoverboards is a great step as it makes the hoverboard portable and easy to use.
Both hoverboards offer app compatibility, so it’s a tie!
The tires of a hoverboard should be flat-free and durable, as damaged tires not only increase the maintenance costs but also reduce the hoverboard’s life.
The Segway Ninebot S has strong 10.5-inch tires, while the Segway Ninebot S-Plus comes with 11-inch pneumatic tires.
It might be a difference for you, but half an inch can make a big difference!
It is because tires should be large and durable enough to tackle uneven and rough terrains, without decreasing the speed of the hoverboard.
Large-sized tires are considered to make the hoverboard an all-terrain hoverboard.
However, 10.5-inch tires are also better than many other hoverboard companies whose tires are limited to 8.5-inch.
The tires of both the hoverboards offer the best performance as they are non-skid and have great shock-absorbing qualities.
They provide the perfect grip and don’t let the hoverboard slip, making you lose balance.
So, we can say that the tires of both Segway S and S-Plus are all-terrain, but going into depth, the Segway Ninebot S-Plus has more durable, large, and strong tires.
However, we think that the company should have extended the tires to 12-inch to make it an unmatched hoverboard!
The climbing angle of the hoverboard goes hand in hand with the motor power and tires.
As the motor power of both the hoverboards is same and the tire size is different by half an inch, we expected that the climbing angle would be the same.
Luckily, we were right!
Both the Ninebot S and S-Plus have a climbing angle of 15-degree.
It means that the hoverboard can climb at least 15-degree on steep hills and bumps.
The climbing angle is good and makes them all-terrain hoverboards.
However, when considering the price, motor power, and tire size, we think that the climbing angle is less as some hoverboards even offer climbing angles of 25 degrees!
Both have the same climbing angle, so it’s a tie!
The weight of the hoverboard is also essential, as it determines whether or not you can carry the hoverboard to different places.
The Segway Ninebot S weighs only 28 lbs. This weight is ideal and makes the hoverboard easy to carry to different places.
On the other hand, the weight of Ninebot S-Plus left us in disappointment.
It weighs 36 lbs.
This makes the S-Plus heavier than its predecessor, making it a bit difficult to carry.
We expected the Ninebot S-Plus to be lightweight, but it comes in a standard weight offered by many other hoverboards.
So, the Ninebot S is very easy to carry and store. Strong adults can easily carry the S-Plus, but children may face difficulty in carrying it.
There’s no difference between the weight capacity of Segway Ninebot S and S-Plus. Both can accommodate user weight up to 220 lbs.
However, if we compare this weight capacity with other hoverboards, we find many others that can accommodate user weight up to 280 lbs.
If you are an obese adult, this weight capacity is okay for you.
However, higher weights can decrease the speed as well as the overall performance of the hoverboard.
We think these hoverboards are ideal for normal-weighing teenagers and adults.
Both can accommodate user weight up to 220 lbs. So, it’s a tie!
Gokart Kit attachment is a new feature seen in a few hoverboards.
This feature is great as it allows you to ride the hoverboard in two modes, either while sitting on the seat or standing on the deck.
Luckily, this feature is present in the Segway Ninebot S, making it an advanced and worth-the-try hoverboard.
The Gokart kit is safe and better for kids as you won’t lose balance while riding. Plus, it gives a new kind of experience.
However, we were disappointed after founding out that the Gokart kit feature is not present in the Segway Ninebot S-Plus!
The lack of this feature makes it lag behind its claims of being an advanced hoverboard.
So, if you want to enjoy riding your hoverboard with multiple options, you should prefer the Segway Ninebot S.
- Double the Fun: By attaching your Ninebot S (sold separately) to the GoKart Drift Kit, you can enjoy a fully-functional GoKart with range up to 13.7 miles and speed up to 10mph. Small Racer for Adults, Big Toy for Children.
- Drift Racing Excitement: Segway GoKart features a handbrake and brake pedal to switch forward and backward. A high steering ratio of 2.1:1 allows for precision steering while the strengthened seat belt ensures the rider's safety.
- Options for Everyone: Segway GoKart features three driving modes suitable for different ages. The adjustable frame length and steering wheel height can accommodate riders from 4’3”to 6’5” tall, with max load of 220 lbs and max slope of 15°.
- Portable Design: Collapsible for convenient portability, the Ninebot Gokart Kit fits in the trunk of most cars so you can bring it wherever you want to ride! Please note: Requires purchase of Segway miniPRO or Ninebot S.
- Warranty: Download the Segway app for a new rider tutorial, assembly instructions, fault reminder speed and more. Please refer to warranty information in product details below and contact us if you have any problems.
- Double the Fun: By attaching your Ninebot S to the GoKart Kit, you can enjoy a fully-functional GoKart with range up to 13.7 miles and speed up to 10mph. With an adjustable frame length, both kids and adults can enjoy the drift experience
- Designed to Fit Most Riders: Segway Ninebot GoKart features three driving modes suitable for different ages. The adjustable frame and steering wheel fit riders between 4' 5" to 6' 3" (130 cm - 190 cm) with a max load of 220 pounds (100 kg)
- Secure Your Safety: Ninebot S's hand brake & brake pedal offer a double braking system that improves safety. Equipped with two layers of impact protection, effectively reduce the impact force, and provide high-strength protection for scooter body
- Easy Assembly& Portable Design: Gokart Kit is as easy to assemble as it is fun to ride! Easily attach and detach Ninebot S before and after riding. Please follow up the assembling steps in user manual. It can easily fit in most car trunks for transport
- Quality Assurance: Download the Segway app for a new rider tutorial, assembly instructions, fault reminder speed and more. Please refer to warranty information in product details below and contact us if you have any problems
The frame of both the Segway Ninebot S and S-Plus is constructed from durable magnesium-alloy material.
This material is different from all others, as many hoverboard companies use aluminum frame.
The addition of magnesium-alloy frame is a good choice because it is up to one-third lighter than the aluminum frame.
They are also dent-resistant and have the ability to dampen vibrations and shield electromagnetic vibrations, even better than the aluminum frames.
Both have a magnesium-alloy frame, so it’s a tie!
The auto-follow mode is a new and advanced feature, and very few hoverboards have it.
Luckily, the Segway Ninebot S-Plus is equipped with the auto-follow mode.
It means that you can control the device with the remote control or the intelligent chip.
When you’re not riding the hoverboard, turning on the auto-follow mode will make the S-Plus follow you.
The auto-follow mode is not present in its predecessor, the Ninebot S.
However; it does operate on the remote control.
A great feature of the Segway Ninebot S-Plus is its holder camera.
This camera is sold separately and is easily mounted on the S-Plus.
The 16-Megapixels camera 104-degree wide-angle lens along with optical image stabilization.
So, you can record amazing videos and also take group photos and selfies through the app.
Unfortunately, the holder camera cannot be mounted into the Segway Ninebot S.
Segway never disappoints its customers in terms of safety features.
Both the Segway Ninebot S and S-Plus have almost the same safety features.
Both are equipped with a self-balancing feature that allows you to maintain balance even when riding on steep hills or bumpy areas.
Also, both the Ninebot S and S-Plus have IP54 water-resistance technology, meaning that the hoverboard is safe to ride in the rain.
The body is protected, and water and dust cannot seep into the machinery and damage its internal parts.
The Rider Tutorial is definitely the best and most convenient safety feature in both the hoverboards.
When riding for the first time, the hoverboards provide step-by-step training.
The speed will also be limited to 4.3mph during the Rider Tutorial.
After completing 0.6 miles, you can increase the speed to 6.2pmh.
When the tutorial is complete, you can disable the speed limiter using the app and enjoy top speeds.
Also, both the Segway Ninebot S and S-Plus are UL2272 certified.
It means that the hoverboards have high standards to meet in terms of electrical and fire safety.
The battery has passed several tests, and there won’t be any problem of catching fire or sparking.
Despite all these safety features, it is recommended to wear safety helmet, gloves and other safety gears while riding.
Both hoverboards offer the same safety features, so it’s a tie!
When comparing any two hoverboards, we always want the one that can deliver the best features at lower price.
Although the Ninebot S and S-Plus are quite similar, their price makes a huge difference!
The Segway Ninebot S has a lower price than the Ninebot S-Plus.
As both the hoverboards exhibit many similar specifications, we think that the price should not vary too much.
However, the only reason for the high price of Ninebot S-Plus would be that it is the successor of the Ninebot S.
The price may differ depending on where you buy.
For getting the lowest price, click the “check price” button below.
- Sturdy & Powerful: With the powerful dual motors of 400W, the Segway S-Plus can reach a max speed of 12.5 mph, travel up to 22 miles and accommodate a max load of 220 lbs after a single full charge. Ride your Segway S-Plus to enjoy the beautiful scenery
- Safety & Comfortable: Smart Battery Management System assures the battery safety and extends the battery life. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. The 11" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads
- Remote Control & Auto-Follow Mode: Use the handle or the joystick on the multi-functional remote with intelligent chip to control the device. When you're not riding and need to have your hands free, turn on follow mode to have your S-Plus follow you
- Intelligent App Management: Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, adjustable ambient lights, firmware upgrade, monitor battery status, vehicle remote control and more
- Quality Assurance: With premium technology, extended functionalities and sleek design, the Segway S-Plus is like having your own personal robot. One-year or 180-day warranty for different parts, please refer to warranty in product details below
- Safety Priority : UL 2272 certification ensures Ninebot S meets high standards for fire and electrical safety. The Smart Battery Management System provides reliable battery performance. IP54 waterproof protection ensures operation in various weathers.
- Sturdy & Powerful : Ninebot S is compact, weighting just 28 lbs with a max load of 220 lbs. Thanks to the dual 400W motors, it can easily reach a max speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can run up to 13. 7 miles, climbing a max slope of 15°
- Road Adaptive Design : 10. 5" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. Applicable Age 16 – 50 years. Applicable Height - 3. 11 – 6. 6 Inch.
- Intelligent App Management : Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, firmware upgrade, Ambient Light, vehicle remote control and more.Rated voltage:54.8V
- Quality Assurance: The Ninebot S is sturdy and durable. One-year or 180-day for different parts, please refer to information in product details below, contact us at [email protected] if you have any problems.
Segway Ninebot S vs S Plus: Overall Winner:
After the detailed comparison, we declare Segway Ninebot S-Plus as the winner!
The Segway Ninebot S also offers some great features, so if you are low on budget, you can buy it. With all the specifications, it is worth the price.
However, if you want an expert hoverboard without compromising on quality and are good on your budget, the Segway Ninebot-Plus should be your ultimate choice.
Although being much higher in price, this hoverboard offers the holder camera and auto-follow mode you will hardly find in any other hoverboard!
Did You Know? Segway is also a proud manufacturer of one of the fastest electric scooters in market.
Does the Segway Ninebot S-Plus have a detachable knee control bar?
No, only the knee control bar of Ninebot S is detachable. This feature is absent in the S-Plus.
Are Segway Ninebot electric scooters waterproof?
Both Segway Ninebot S and S-Plus have IP54 water-resistance technology. The hoverboards are water-resistance, but not waterproof.
It means that they can withstand rain splashes and dust.
However, you should never take the hoverboard out during thunderstorms and floods.
What terrains are suitable for Segway Ninebot S?
The Segway Ninebot S has durable and non-skid tires that help you tackle bumpy areas without losing balance.
However, this self-balancing electric scooter is not designed to run on grass and sand.
How long does a Segway take to charge?
Segway hoverboards take 2-3 hours to charge fully.
The charging time may be longer the first time.
This time applies to the majority of the brands.
Are Ninebot S and S-Plus better than the MiniPro?
Segway Ninebot S and S-Plus are the successors and newer versions of MiniPro.
All of them have their own unique features, but the S-Plus is considered an advanced one.
Looking for more product comparison? Well! Check out the following articles:
- GoTrax GXL V2 vs. Xiaomi M365
- Segway Ninebot MAX G30 VS. G30LP: Who’s The Winner?
- Razor MX500 vs SX500: Which Dirt Bike Should You Buy?
- Razor MX400 vs MX350 Dirt Bike: Who’s the Winner?
More Electric Scooter Reviews:
More Electric Scooter Tips: