A self-balancing scooter comes to mind when considering an alternate mode of transportation that is cheap and lies between a bike and roller skates.
This personal transporter, also recognized as a hoverboard, continues to be a huge fad among youngsters and teens all over the world.
Even though the hoverboard looks more like a skateboard, it has much more intense features as compared to a simple skateboard.
These features make it easier to use, increasing its popularity over the years.
Needing to go anywhere between 10 to 15 miles, be it your workplace or school, these hoverboards along with their benefits, will always come in handy.
If you too are looking for a good hoverboard to get your hands on, this article will help you choose the best hoverboard according to your requirements but you need to first learn some things about hoverboards.
- 1 Things to know about hoverboards
- 2 How do I know which hoverboard to buy?
- 2.1 Types of hoverboards
- 2.2 How to ride a hoverboard?
- 2.3 Can I drive my hoverboard outside?
- 2.4 What to look for in a hoverboard?
- 2.5 How to buy a good hoverboard?
- 2.6 What hoverboard should I get?
- 2.7 Why are after-sale services important?
- 2.8 Best company to buy hoverboard
- 2.9 Best hoverboard to buy for the money
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 Explore More on Hoverboards:
Things to know about hoverboards
Being invented in 2010 by Shane Chen, it took almost three years before the hoverboards finally took off in 2013.
Their several advantages make them a useful everyday ride.
They are extremely eco-friendly as they produce negligible air pollution, and don’t even need any sort of non-renewable energy sources like diesel or petrol.
They are cost-effective as well because apart from not needing a constant outside energy source except electricity for charging, they also have extremely low maintenance charges.
These small boards also save the user from the parking hassle.
These lightweight gadgets can simply be carried around in a backpack.
Apart from this, you also need to know about how the hoverboard technology actually works.
Tilt and Speed Sensors
The tilt and speed sensors manage the speed of your hoverboard by monitoring the wheels’ velocity in revolutions per minute and sending the data to the logic board and gyroscope.
The IR sensor, which is located just beneath the foot location, is triggered when you step upright on the board and sends a signal to the logic board to keep steady and not start the engine.
When you set your feet on the footboard and tilt forward or backward, the built-in Gyroscope sensors in the self-balancing scooters relay data to the logic board.
This allows you to easily travel forward or backward as well as make curves without falling off.
Using changing capacitance, an accelerometer calculates a three-dimensional position, with one held constant while the others are allowed to shift position as needed. Any changes in position are quite sensitive to the capacitors.
Using changing capacitance, an accelerometer calculates a three-dimensional position.
This adjustment affects the voltage even further, allowing you to monitor and utilize it according to your preferences.
Brushless Electric Motor
Brushless electric motors are utilized in all UL2272 approved hoverboards, as opposed to brushed DC motors.
Permanent magnets are housed in the rotor, whereas electromagnets are installed on the stator.
The electromagnets are then charged in the stator, which allows the rotor to rotate 360 degrees and provide the electric hoverboard with maximum power.
The magnetometer of a self-balancing scooter uses the Hall Effect to correctly measure the magnetic field in comparison to the magnetic field of the earth.
A hoverboard’s logic board is analogous to a computer’s CPU.
The microprocessor is the most important component of any logic board since it receives input from numerous sensors and processes it before sending it to the appropriate sections for optimal operation.
By carefully regulating power, the logic board also keeps the battery from running out.
Now that you know the basics of a hoverboard, let’s get to your main question.
How do I know which hoverboard to buy?
When you decide to buy a hoverboard, there are loads of aspects that you need to retain.
You will have to keep certain factors in mind for example if you have a definite price range that you want a hoverboard within, or if you prefer quality over price.
It also depends on if you want the kind of hoverboard that charges quickly or the kind which has a high speed.
When you have knowledge about how to ride a hoverboard, it will also help you understand what type of hoverboard would be best for you.
Keep on reading to have a full understanding of hoverboards.
Types of hoverboards
The sort of model to buy is the next key consideration.
There are multiple models to pick from, and prospective purchasers may be daunted by the sheer number of options.
Hoverboards are designed with the same fundamental principle in mind, however, there are several differences.
When comparing models, the battery capacity, speed, materials, and internal motors are the most important factors to consider.
Each of these factors will have a significant influence on the hoverboard’s operation.
There are three major types of hoverboards:
- Classic: This is the basic kind of hoverboard with usually 6.5″ wheels and body shape as an off-road hoverboard, but what makes it different is that it has no smart balancing mode. It moves and keeps the rider upright using a gyroscope. Besides, it is designed to work only on flat surfaces with a slight incline. TOMOLOO hoverboard is one of the best examples of a Classic Hoverboard.
- Off-road: These hoverboards with bigger 8″+ wheels and 350-watt motors are available. They can withstand almost everything you throw at them and are better suited to larger riders. They work efficiently on all terrains and incline up to 20 to 25 degrees. The Gyroor and XPRIT hoverboards are examples of all-terrain hoverboards.
- Self-balancing: These type of hoverboards boasts a self-balancing mode that, with or without a rider, keeps the board precisely level with the ground. It compensates for any tilt using its internal gyroscope. Segway Ninebot S-Plus is among the most popular self-balancing scooter.
How to ride a hoverboard?
For beginners, these stages are crucial to remember, in order to learn the skill of hoverboarding without falling.
- Begin by positioning the hoverboard on a flat surface so that you can face it directly.
- Turn the hoverboard on.
- Start with your dominant foot and put it on the board.
- Then softly walk onto the board with your second foot.
- While on the board, maintain an upright posture and standstill.
- Lean and shift your ankles slightly in the direction you want to ride the hoverboard forward or backward. Lean softly forward or backward with your ankles while maintaining your waist straight.
- To turn right, press your left toes forward to transfer your body weight in the other way. Maintain a horizontal right foot.
- To turn left, use your right toes and follow the same technique as turning right. Maintain a horizontal left foot.
- To spin right, press your right ankle down with your left toes. Push your left ankle and right toes down to spin to your left.
- Last but not the least, do not panic if you don’t get how to do it in the first few tries. Remember, practice is what makes a man perfect.
Hoverboarding isn’t difficult to learn, although the experience varies from person to person.
It takes a little work to master the technique of balancing oneself and turning in desired directions, but it’s not impossible.
Because of their bodily flexibility, children and teens learn to ride the board far more quickly than adults.
If you can set aside 15 minutes each day to practice riding the hoverboard, it won’t take long for you to be able to ride it like a pro while being safe.
Can I drive my hoverboard outside?
It is dependent on where you reside.
You can’t ride your hoverboard on sidewalks or on the road in the United Kingdom, so feel free to wheel around inside or in front of your driveway.
They may also be prohibited in New York City, but that depends on how quickly yours can go.
Leave it at home if it can travel faster than 15 mph, fortunately not many have that high speed.
In California, a new rule that went into effect at the beginning of the year makes it legal to ride your scooter in bike lanes and paths.
Even yet, some schools, malls, and other establishments are taking steps to exclude them from their halls and grounds, so be aware that the regulations aren’t always on your side.
What to look for in a hoverboard?
When it comes to buying a product, everyone looks for something that has the best quality but a low price range.
The same is the case with hoverboards.
Here too, the customers look for the one which has a high speed, charges fast, has a long battery life but is cheap.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to get the perfect quality at a very low cost.
You can however set a middle ground by setting your priorities straight.
This will help you decide what exactly you are looking for in a hoverboard.
To help you understand exactly what you are looking for, let’s get into the detail of some hoverboard features.
It is important that your hoverboard is safe to use and is UL certified.
This certification is only given to high-quality scooters after they are made to go through a series of tests.
It is best to choose the one which is tested to protect yourself from any possible mishap caused due to a low-quality hoverboard.
Related Posts: Best Helmets for Electric Scooters
Almost every customer craves a speedy ride.
While hoverboards with speeds ranging from 6 to 15 mph are available, those with speeds more than 10 mph are classified as high-speed zone items.
Related Posts: Electric Bike Speed Limiter Removal – A Step-by-Step Guide
It goes without saying that you will examine your budget first and then draw a line before acquiring anything.
It might cost anywhere from $100 to $1000.
The sort of goods you get at various pricing points varies.
We’ll take you on a tour of the highest quality hoverboards available for sale at the most reasonable prices throughout the world.
Related Posts: Best Hoverboard Under $200
If you’re a big guy, the hoverboards, which can transport up to 300 pounds, are the way to go.
The majority of conventional goods can support approximately 220 pounds of weight.
However, there are still some heavier-duty items on the market with hefty price tags.
Many people nowadays look for boards that have Bluetooth capability and App Support and specifically go for them.
Initially, these characteristics were only accessible in high-end items or the Lamborghini electric scooter, but they are now found in nearly all manufacturers.
However, some hoverboard only have bluetooth speakers, while high-end hoverboards offer Bluetooth and App support with tons of other features.
Despite the fact that it is accessible on all hoverboards, the tendency has been for both the back and front lights to flash in various colours to distinguish the action.
Three types of warranties that a hoverboard company can provide you with.
- Limited Warranty: This includes a one-year warranty which simply includes damage that is there in your hoverboard when you first open the packaging. This warranty will not include repair to any damage that may be caused by you, for example, you hit a pole while riding and harm your hoverboard, the company will not repair it for you.
- Manufacturer’s Warranty: This warranty is a better choice as compared to a limited warranty because it allows you to have any type of damage to your hoverboard repaired. Even if the damage is caused by you accidentally, the company will repair it for you free of cost.
- Extended Warranty: When your manufacturer’s warranty expires, extended hoverboard warranties come in handy. So, even if your board is older than a year, you still have a place to go if it breaks down. It is better to get a hoverboard that includes a manufacturer’s warranty because hoverboard parts are quite expensive. After your manufacturer’s warranty expires, it is suggested that you get an extended warranty so that you don’t have a hard time maintaining your hoverboard in case of an issue with it.
There are two major hoverboard types, namely, classic and off-road.
- Classic: Classic hoverboards are built for regular use for example on purpose-built roads and smooth terrain.
- Off-road: Unlike typical hoverboards, which require a level, barrier-free surface, an off-road balance board can handle any surface.
Battery and Charging time
Depending on the quality and size of the hoverboard, the charging time may be more or less.
A bigger hoverboard will take more time to charge, about 4 to 6 hours as compared to a smaller hoverboard which might take 2 to 3 hours to completely charge.
Simultaneously, a low quality hoverboard will also take longer to charge in comparison to a high quality hoverboard.
Coming to the battery of a hoverboard, a customer should remember that a high-quality battery that might be a bit expensive, will last longer after each charge.
Such a battery will also have a longer life span.
Related Post: How Long Does It Take for a Hoverboard to Charge?
A built quality that is attractive to the eyes of the rider and the viewer, will not only help the rider drive the hoverboard with more confidence but it will also improve his image amongst the surrounding people.
It is recommended that the customer searches for the latest designs of a hoverboard and buy the ones that they think have the best built quality.
For their ease, it is suggested that a customer chooses a lightweight portable hoverboard.
There are numerous hoverboards to choose from but buying the one that can be carried around easily will be of advantage for those who can’t trust parking spaces with their hoverboards.
Most hoverboards approximately weigh around 25 lbs.
Choosing hoverboards with an incline-assist system is important because many times the path you are moving along goes uphill.
If you have a hoverboard that does not include this system, it would make you put extra effort when you would want to travel uphill.
Related Post: Best Electric Scooters For Climbing Hills
When you buy a hoverboard with app compatibility, it makes running your hoverboard a lot easier.
Through app compatibility you have major control over the hoverboard’s settings including speed and drive mode.
For this reason, getting a hoverboard with app compatibility will have you running it with simply your fingertips.
The motor of a hoverboard is driven by a strong lithium-ion hoverboard battery that exerts resistance in a certain way to keep the rider stable.
From 250 watt to 400 watt, there are different motors that different hoverboards comprise of.
A heavy motor will use more electricity and take more time to charge but a low watt motor will charge quickly but might not last that long.
Choose a motor according to your preference.
Range and using time
Most hoverboards last around 1 hour after they have been fully charged.
It sound like a short time but the lithium batteries used in these hoverboards allow them to run for this time duration after which you will need to charge it again.
Their range is approximately 10 to 15 miles which is quite good for regular short distance use for example if you want to go to work or school.
From 6.5 inch to 10 inch, a hoverboard can have different types of tires.
The size of tires you require mainly depend on the terrain that you would be regularly using the hoverboard on.
For rugged terrain, it is best to choose wide tires but for a smooth, straight pathway, small tires would be a good choice.
Hoverboards aren’t completely waterproof, although some good ones might be water resistant.
These have an IP54 classification.
An object’s IP rating reflects how water proof it is.
An IP54 hoverboard can resist water molecules from any direction.
How to buy a good hoverboard?
A good hoverboard is the one that is ideal for your preferences.
It should match your price range and should be able to fulfill all those requirements that you wish for in your scooter.
You need to understand that the hoverboard that is compatible with your age, weight, and speed or battery choices is the one that is good for you.
As explained above, it should also be safe to use and hence you should preferably go for a hoverboard that is tested and certified.
To get a better quality hoverboard it is best not to chase a low price or uncertified ride as it will be a rather short-term investment.
Before buying a hoverboard it is also extremely important to check for product reviews.
This will guide you on exactly what the product is like and not on what the manufacturer claims it to be.
What hoverboard should I get?
To get your ideal hoverboard, you should consider the person who will be riding it.
For example, if you want to get a hoverboard for your child it is best to get the one which is:
- Small in size
- Stays charged for a longer period of time
- Has a moderate speed as high speed may be unsafe for kids
- Ensure that the hoverboard has a non-slippery footboard. Any hoverboard’s right footboard will give excellent grip and traction, enhancing the rider’s safety
These features would be different when considering an adult in which case you should get the one which is:
- Large in size
- Can carry your weight if you are a bulky person
- Has a good speed
In all cases, select a product that is certified and is attuned to your price range.
You may also ponder over features like:
- Taller/bigger wheels
- Colors and finishes
- Bluetooth speakers to connect to and play music from your smartphone
- Turn signals
- LED headlights
- Learning mode for new riders
- Water-resistant models
- Higher top speeds
- Longer range models (models that can travel a longer distance between charges)
These will help you decide better what type of hoverboard is best for you.
Why are after-sale services important?
It is only after you have purchased a vehicle and are in need of after-sales servicing that you grasp the significance of this consideration.
If you’re buying your hoverboard online, make sure they’ll help you out when you need it.
When immediate services are widely available, getting your product from a local market becomes advantageous.
Sometimes even the bestselling or best-reviewed products turn out to be defective.
In that case, it is important that you buy from a seller who is available after the purchase.
Best company to buy hoverboard
Here, we have compiled the bestselling hoverboards brands available on amazon to help you have a look at the best quality products available.
Now that you have an idea about the top brands, you also need to know exactly which hoverboards are great to buy so keep on reading.
Best hoverboard to buy for the money
A buyer is usually looking for a product that is both economical and of high quality.
As a result, we’ve compiled a list of Amazon’s top-selling hoverboards that are also affordable, including the best segway hoverboard.
|Segway Ninebot S-Plus Smart Self-Balancing Electric Scooter||
|Gyroor Warrior Off Road Hoverboard||
|Eco-Glide Smart Self Balance Scooter||
|INMOTION V11 Electric Off-Road Unicycle||
|Segway Ninebot S Smart Self-Balancing Electric Scooter||
|UNI-SUN Chrome - Self Balancing Hoverboard||
|UNI-SUN Off-Road Hoverboard||
|Felimoda Hoverboard (Amazing New Design)||
|XPRIT All Terrain Off-Road Hoverboard||
|INMOTION V5F Electric Unicycle for Adults||
Now that you know all there is to know about hoverboards and how to buy one, we hope that this post will help you find the finest hoverboard for your needs.
Explore More on Hoverboards:
- Best Hoverboard Go Kart Seat Attachments
- Best Hoverboards for Beginners
- Gyroor T581 Hoverboard Review
- Gyroor Warrior Hoverboard Review
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Scooters
- Segway Ninebot S vs S Plus – Which One To Buy?
- Best Pink Hoverboards with Bluetooth
- Best Segways for Kids, Teens & Adults
- Segway Ninebot S-Plus Review
- How to Calibrate a Hoverboard – A Step By Step Guide
- How To Maintain Your Hoverboard?
- How to Prevent Hoverboard from Exploding?
- How Much Weight Can A Hoverboard Hold?