Hoverboards have been around for years yet their craze doesn’t seem to be fading anytime soon.
Rather, they are becoming more popular than ever now, with potential users giving them the most coveted tech gadget spot.
As with all mobile gadgets, there comes trouble with the calibration once in a while.
You may experience a change in the way your hoverboard functions, though it isn’t a big tech issue.
This can happen when you either use your hoverboard on an uneven or bumpy surface or expose it to damp conditions like wet grass or puddles.
Although ice and snow don’t usually affect your hoverboard’s calibration and performance but if they do, they can cause serious injuries.
- 1 How Do I Know If My Hoverboard Needs Calibration?
- 2 How to Calibrate a Hoverboard Manually/Using an App/Remote?
- 3 What to Do If the Hoverboard Isn’t Calibrating aka Troubleshooting?
- 4 How to calibrate a Jetson hoverboard?
- 5 How to calibrate a Hover 1 hoverboard?
- 6 How to calibrate a Swagtron hoverboard?
- 7 How to calibrate Gotrax hoverboard?
- 8 How to calibrate a Gyroor hoverboard?
- 9 How to calibrate a Segway?
- 10 How do you calibrate an off-road hoverboard?
- 11 FAQs
- 12 Explore More Guides:
How Do I Know If My Hoverboard Needs Calibration?
This is something that will become evident if you are a frequent hoverboard user.
Hoverboards are meant to stay upright otherwise it won’t be possible to ride them.
The main component of a hoverboard is its gyroscope which accepts sensors from the tilting wheels and sends them to the logic board.
This ensures the board remains upright and balanced all the time while you are riding.
If there is a problem with the gyroscope, it won’t be able to send accurate data to the logic board.
Consequently, your hoverboard’s functions and their response will be compromised.
Part of the hoverboard’s maintenance involves resetting the gyroscope.
You will have to calibrate your hoverboard if it gets exposed to water or if its battery gets wet.
If this occurs while you are riding the hoverboard, stop immediately and dry the mainboard before you decide to carry on the calibration process.
You also have to calibrate your hoverboard if it’s dropped or has been mishandled.
Moreover, if your hoverboard shakes or vibrates and doesn’t function properly, it’s certainly time to calibrate it.
Additionally, you must calibrate your hoverboard before and after you have used it in varying conditions like sand or wet grass or you have carried your hoverboard on the roof of your car.
This way you can make sure that your hoverboard is in optimum working condition giving you smooth rides every time.
Other than that, if your hoverboard turns to one side slower than the other, or you notice red lights flashing or you are facing difficulty in using the board, calibrating it will surely fix the problem.
If this doesn’t work, you might want to replace the gyroscope.
You can find the replacement parts on the website of your hoverboard’s brand.
If you have a problem with balancing your board, then getting the gyroscope calibrated should be the first thing you should try.
Note: Never try to calibrate your hoverboard upside down.
How to Calibrate a Hoverboard Manually/Using an App/Remote?
There are three ways to calibrate a hoverboard.
You can choose to do it manually or use an app or remote device to complete the calibration process.
The process involves checking the sensors on your hoverboard to ensure their proper functioning and also to maintain control over your movements while you are riding it.
Make sure to perform the calibration process on a smooth and flat surface barring any cracks and bumps to not compromise your calibration results.
1. Manual Calibration:
Following are the steps involved when you choose to manually calibrate your hoverboard
- Your hoverboard should be powered off and placed on a flat and smooth surface. Try and make sure the pedals should be completely leveled.
- Next, press and hold down the power button for a few seconds. During this time make sure not to disturb or bump your hoverboard. When you release the power button all the LED lights on the board will turn on in sequence indicating that it is now fully powered up. The time you hold down your button depends upon the model of your hoverboard.
- Now turn on your hoverboard by pressing the power button, as it should be calibrated by now.
- You can now test your hoverboard and see if it is properly calibrated or not. If you can control and navigate it with ease, it means your hoverboard has successfully been calibrated. Calibrate your hoverboard if it is still shaking or vibrating and you are unable to maintain balance while riding.
Calibrating your hoverboard more than once isn’t unusual, and you don’t need to be alarmed.
You may have to repeat the process to get your desired results.
2. Application-based calibration Using Bluetooth:
Bluetooth calibration is similar to manual calibration however the only difference involved is the risk factor.
The risk you run is that you might fry your Bluetooth chip while calibration.
This can happen even if you calibrate your hoverboard properly.
By following the steps mentioned below, you can calibrate your hoverboard with the help of an app on your mobile phone/tablet.
It depends whether your hoverboard supports this system or not, but if it does, you will have to download the application before proceeding.
- Make sure your hoverboard is switched on.
- Then go to the settings on your mobile phone or tablet. You need to find the option for ‘Bluetooth.’ You will find this in different places in your device depending on the specific model you have, so search for it until you find it.
- Once you locate Bluetooth, turn it on and then go back to your hoverboard’s menu. You will need to search for the Bluetooth option in your hoverboard’s menu. Open this up when you find it within your hoverboard’s settings.
- The app will start searching for compatible devices to connect with. Once it locates your hoverboard, tap on it, and the application will attempt to connect with the resultant hoverboard. If it asks you for a passkey, enter 0000 in the box for security purposes.
- The Bluetooth pairing between your hoverboard and your device is now complete and you can now begin calibrating your hoverboard with the help of the app.
- Go back to the menu on your device’s application and tap on the option that says ‘calibrate.’ This will lead you to a new sub-section of calibrating instructions.
- Before moving ahead to the next step, make sure both of your feet are firmly placed against the pedals. You should now see an arrow pointing in one direction or another along with both the pedals.
- Now each of the arrows will start moving back and forth on your screen signifying what direction you should move either of your foot pedals to correctly calibrate the hoverboard. When you are done calibrating, both the foot pedals should be pointing vertically on your screen. If this shows, you are now ready to ride your hoverboard.
NOTE: It’s important to note that the calibration process through Bluetooth varies from model to model. In any case, the application will provide you with thorough guidance.
3. Remote based Calibration:
It’s hard to believe but remotes are the number one cause of a lot of problems associated with hoverboards.
It’s usually children aged 8 to 14 who own and use hoverboards and they often forget to shut down the hoverboard using the silver on/off button on the board rather they prefer using the remote for this purpose.
We would like to compare the remote on a hoverboard to the ‘sleep’ option on a desktop.
You are basically not shutting off the computer but putting it on low power sleep mode and it wakes up when you turn it on again.
Just because of this, users leave the hoverboard on low power sleep mode overnight or even for days on a stretch.
This makes them learn how to calibrate the hoverboard using a remote.
This isn’t ‘remotely’ possible and you can’t fix your calibration with a remote.
You need to calibrate using the silver on/off button on your hoverboard.
What to Do If the Hoverboard Isn’t Calibrating aka Troubleshooting?
If your hoverboard is fully powered on, and you are ready to use it but it still won’t calibrate, then there might be some reasons for this to happen.
Either your hoverboard isn’t fully charged or there is some problem with your tire’s pressure.
In the previous case, you can recharge your hoverboard for at least a couple of hours before attempting to calibrate it again.
In the case of the latter, you will need to take out the tires, clean them and then fully inflate them using a home or car tire inflation kit.
If none of the above-mentioned solutions work for your hoverboard and you are still unable to calibrate it, then connect with the customer service.
They are well trained to fix minor nudges over chat or phone, but if that doesn’t work too, then ask for their email address so you can send those images of the faulty device.
This way they will be better able to assist you and get your hoverboard up and running properly.
Testing the Hoverboard:
Once you are done with the calibration it’s time to test drive your hoverboard.
Turn your hoverboard on like usual, assuming there are no flashing red lights, you hop on your board and go for a ride.
Make sure your ride is on a smooth surface and you are wearing your helmet and other road safety gear to prevent potential injuries.
Check if both the wheels are aligned and moving at the same speed.
Take a round; move up an incline and down making sure the board stays upright.
If everything turns fine, your hoverboard has been successfully calibrated. If it’s still acting weird, you either need to replace the gyroscope or seek professional help.
How to calibrate a Jetson hoverboard?
To calibrate a Jetson hoverboard, follow the steps given below.
- Turn your hoverboard off and place it on a smooth and flat surface ensuring both sides are leveled.
- Press and hold the power button until you see lights beginning to flash.
- Repeat the above-mentioned steps up to three times to ensure your hoverboard is calibrated.
How to calibrate a Hover 1 hoverboard?
If your Hover 1 board isn’t turning on properly, unbalanced or vibrating, you can follow the steps mentioned below to calibrate it.
- Place your hoverboard on a smooth, flat, and horizontal surface such as a table or the floor. The foot mats should be even and not tilted to either the left or right side. Make sure the hoverboard isn’t plugged in and the board is turned OFF.
- Press and hold the ON/OFF button for 15 seconds. The hoverboard will turn on lighting the LED battery indicator on the hoverboard.
- After the light flashes consecutively 5 times, you may release the power button.
- Now turn the hoverboard on to ensure it is calibrated.
How to calibrate a Swagtron hoverboard?
If your Swagtron is acting weird, pulling to right or left while riding then you might need to calibrate its sensors.
Follow the simple steps below to calibrate your hoverboard.
- Power off your hoverboard.
- Rotate the hoverboard until both pedals are leveled over the ground. Use a level for best results. If you don’t have a level, get it from your local hardware store.
- While the hoverboard rests on the level, hold the power button down on the hoverboard for a few seconds and keep it holding.
- When you hear a beep after an additional three seconds, release the power button.
- Press the power button again to turn off the hoverboard.
- Press the power button to turn your newly calibrated hoverboard on.
How to calibrate Gotrax hoverboard?
Most of the time when your Gotrax hoverboard isn’t working fine, it’s a simple call for calibration. Below are some instructions to easily calibrate your hoverboard.
- Unplug your hoverboard from the charger. Place it on a smooth, flat, and stable surface.
- Turn off your hoverboard.
- Level your foot pedals with each other and the ground.
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until you hear a beep sound and see the LED lights flashing.
- Press the power button to turn it off.
- Press the power button to turn it on.
- Repeat the same process to accurately calibrate your hoverboard.
How to calibrate a Gyroor hoverboard?
If your Gyroor hoverboard is unbalanced, calibrate it.
- Confirm that the hoverboard is turned off and place both sides of the pedal parallel to its ground surface.
- Press and hold the power button for five seconds. Release it.
- When you hear a beep sound the system has started calibration. The red LED light on the board then starts flashing three times.
- Wait until the red light is turned on which indicates completed calibration.
How to calibrate a Segway?
After you install the handlebar, you may notice that your Segway is acting a little weird.
Don’t worry! all it needs is a little calibration.
- Install the Ninebot application. All the calibration instructions are built into the application.
- Switch on your hoverboard and place it on its parking stand.
- Open the Ninebot app and pair it with your hoverboard.
- After your devices have paired, the application will take you to the next screen.
- Out of the ‘Options’ select the ‘Sensor Settings’ and then select ‘Calibrate balance sensor.’
- Your hoverboard will self-calibrate. Wait until the calibration is complete and avoid moving the surface.
- Your hoverboard is successfully calibrated.
- Segway Ninebot Mecha Kit: All You Need to Know
- Segway Ninebot S-Plus Review
- Best Segways for Kids, Teens & Adults
- Segway Ninebot S vs S Plus – Which One To Buy?
How do you calibrate an off-road hoverboard?
The instructions to calibrate an off-road hoverboard are fairly similar.
- Turn off your hoverboard and place it on a stable, smooth, and even surface.
- Turn the board off by pressing the power button and holding it for a few seconds.
- You will hear a beep sound and the red LED light will start flashing.
- Now release and press the power button thrice to complete the calibration.
- The calibration is complete.
How long to calibrate a hoverboard?
It takes normally 30 seconds for the calibration to complete but during this time make sure not to move, shake or disturb the device. After 30 seconds, press the power button once again to turn the device off. The device must have been calibrated by now.
How do you recalibrate a hoverboard?
Turn off your hoverboard and place it on a stable, smooth, and even surface. Turn the board on by pressing the power button and holding it for a few seconds. You will hear a beep sound and the red LED light will start flashing. Now release and press the power button thrice to complete the calibration. The calibration is successfully complete.
How do I fix my uneven hoverboard?
To fix your uneven hoverboard, you will need to calibrate the system. Stand your uneven hoverboard on a flat surface with both pedals parallel to the surface. Press and hold the power button until the LED light begins to flash. Wait for a couple of seconds and then turn the power button off. Now you can turn it on manually and use your hoverboard as usual.
Explore More Guides:
- Electric Bike Speed Limiter Removal – A Step-by-Step Guide
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Scooters
- Are Electric Scooters Safer Than Motorcycles?
- How to Clean an Electric Scooter? Quick Tips
- How to Fix an Electric Scooter? – Quick Tips
- Difference Between An Electric Wheelchair And A Scooter?
- How Long Does It Take for a Hoverboard to Charge?
- How To Maintain Your Hoverboard?
- How to Prevent Hoverboard from Exploding?
- How Much Weight Can A Hoverboard Hold?